Skip to main content

First Grade is Exhausting

I don't know about the girls, but 1st grade is wiping me out!  I get home from work between 6:15 and 6:30.  Dinner is usually waiting for me (I feel like a husband in the 50s) and Paul and the girls have usually just finished.  Sometimes they wait for me, but that's pretty late for the girls to eat so it doesn't bother me if they eat earlier.  After I/we eat I clean up, and by then it's about 7:30.
 
The next hour is just a whirlwind of getting things ready for the next day and helping the girls with their homework.  Sometimes they've already done it by the time I get home, but even then they still have 20 minutes of reading every night and lately it seems there is always some project or another that we have to help them with.  I feel like I'M back in school and it's killing me.  I long to be able to just come home from work and chill and not have to spend the next 2+ hours cleaning and doing homework.  So different from when I was their age.  I never had homework until at least 6th grade, and then I did it myself.  But the girls had a minimal amount every week in Kindergarten (it was optional but we always did it) and now a slightly less minimal amount in first grade (don't get me wrong--I think it's good for them and I'm all for it).  I long for the day that they can just do their homework themselves (and it's not that I mind helping them, I just would rather use that time to make the house look like less of a sty or go to the gym for some much needed exercise).  But anyway, after homework and nightly reading it's always a battle to get them to get their pajamas on and brush their teeth and settle down and go to bed.  And I'm always just dying to get them to bed because I have a million other things I want to try to do in the next hour or two before I have to go to bed.  It's exhausting.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley