Skip to main content

What's Up Wednesday

I haven't linked up with Shay and Sheaffer for What's Up Wednesday in forever (haven't posted at all in forever until yesterday) so here goes:

What We're Eating This Week

Lots of junk (Christmas cookies, 4-layer delight, chocolate).  Actually, that was more last week but still finishing things off this week.  It's mostly all gone so hopefully back on track next week, or at least on Monday the 4th.

What I'm Reminiscing About

Travel






and our annual NYE party at our friends' that won't be taking place this year.  We have been going there for NYE every year since 2012 but because of COVID we won't be going this year.  It's always a super fun, low-key gathering with the kids playing upstairs and the grown-ups hanging out downstairs drinking, playing games, watching funny YouTube videos or just visiting, then we all watch the ball drop at Midnight (on tape delay since we're on the West Coast) and the kids shoot silly string and do all kinds of noise makers and those popper things.  Then we all help clean up the mess and head home, only having like .75 miles to drive give or take. This year, it will just be the 4 of us hanging out at home, ordering take out in support of a local restaurant and playing games.

What I'm Loving

We just did a bunch or home improvements--new floors, new carpet upstairs, new living room furniture and the whole interior painted.  I'm planning a post or two dedicated to that in the near future.  I'm particularly loving my new media cabinet and lamp from Wayfair.




What We've Been Up To

Christmas, and still trying to get all our pictures re-hung, etc. from all the recent projects.

What I'm Dreading

Getting on the scale on January 1st?  Other than that, the only thing I can think of is more storms, as I work for a electric utility and have to work storm duty when there are many storm-related power outages.  But since COVID, I get to do it from home so it's not so bad.

What I've Been Working On

Just still trying to get the house back in order after all the recent projects.  Next month I'll definitely be working on weight loss, eating healthier, and reading more.

What I'm Excited About

I'm always excited about a fresh start at the beginning of the year.  Also, I'm very much looking forward to some future travel and the kids going back to in-person school someday...maybe...



What I'm Watching/Reading

I'm always a few step behind all the new shows.  Like, by the time I get around to watching something most people will have already been watching it for months.  I had been hearing great things about Yellowstone, so I finally watched the first episode a week or so ago.  It was good, but I wasn't riveted like I was led to believe I would be.  Being a former horse girl and having farming in my blood I totally appreciate the whole western/ranching vibe, though.  Plus, I've always liked Kevin Costner.  I'm definitely going to give it a chance and continue watching.  My current favorite right now though is A Million Little Things, and then I've also been watching This is Us and New Amsterdam. And of course the Bachelorette but that just ended.

As for reading, I'm currently reading a Johnny Depp biography that I have had for years and never read.

What I'm Listening To

Christmas music up until a few days ago, otherwise nothing in particular, Adult Contemporary radio or one of my Spotify playlists (all genres except rap but mostly rock, pop and alternative).

What I'm Wearing

Most days leggings or yoga pants and long tops or sweatshirts.  The beauty of working from home!

What I'm Doing This Weekend

Well, it's New Year's Eve/Day, and like I previously mentioned, for the first time since 2012 we will not be going to our friend's house for NYE.  We will probably hang out at home, order take-out to support a local restaurant and play games/watch movies.  On New Year's Day, we will probably take down/put away all the Christmas stuff.  Other than that, I want to start going room to room and purging all unwanted or unneeded items and organizing what's left (that will span several weekends) and hopefully do some reading and maybe work on a puzzle or do some scrapbooking or something.  Oh, and watching the last Seahawks game on Sunday.

What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month

The long Marin Luther King weekend.  I'm hoping to use the extra time to get things done.  Normally, I would be looking forward to my birthday because Paul and I would have a date night but this year we will probably just order take out from somewhere new, so I'm still looking forward to that but not as much as going out for the evening.

What Else is New

Not a whole lot, other than that Kayley (12) is officially taller than me.  I'm only 5'-2.5", but still.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

A Day in My Life

  It's time once again for the Multiples and More Question of the Week:  A Day in Your Life. What is your schedule like? Do you work outside the home or stay home with the kids?   I am very blessed to be a SAHM.  Our schedule looks something like this: The girls get up anywhere between 7:20 and 8:20, but usually around 8:00.  Lately I've been letting them watch an episode of Dora so I can get on the computer and check email, Facebook, etc.  Otherwise they just play for an hour or so and then we have breakfast. By the time we're done with breakfast (fixing, eating and cleaning up) it's usually between 9:30 and 10:00.  We get dressed, and then we go wherever we're going that day (errands, park, playdate, etc.).  If it's a stay home day, I'll usually do a DVD workout while they just play upstairs and then we'll go for a walk or play outside after. Lunch is anywhere between 12:00 and 1:00, and nap is 1:30 or 2:00 to 4:00 or 4:30. After their nap