Friday, November 21, 2008

Bad Week

Last Saturday we spent the day at the In-Laws. When we got home around 10:00 pm, Olivia was shivering. I thought it was strange, but figured she must just be cold so I put her sleep sack on (which I was going to do anyway since it was time to go to bed). The shivering stopped and we all went to bed.

The next morning we had a wedding to attend at 11:00 am (the couple had availability issues with their site, thus the 11:00-am-on-a-Sunday wedding). As we were getting ready, I thought she didn't quite seem herself but figured I was just being paranoid. We went to the wedding, but while we were waiting for the ceremony to begin, I could tell she didn't feel well. She felt warm and went from fussy to really sleepy. So, when the ceremony was over I decided to run home with her to take her temperature (we were only 5 minutes from home--nice!). Sure enough, she had a high fever. I gave her tylenol, called the doctor and then had to go pick up Paul and Kayley, who were still at the wedding, since we were obviously not going back for the reception (damn--no cake!).

Later, I was trying to give her a bottle and I could tell she was hungry but she would drink just a little bit and then throw up. Luckily, though, when I tried again later she was able to keep it down.

Monday, she still had the fever so the nurse said to bring her in. Everything checked out ok, and they just chalked it up to a "virus". The fever was gone by Monday evening but after going to bed around 7:00, she woke up at 8:00 WIDE awake and HAPPY! Paul's mom was here and we were just amazed at how animated she was being, especially when it got to be 10:00. But then all of a sudden she got really fussy and cried for a long time. She finally went back to sleep around midnight.

Tuesday she was fussy off and on but otherwise ok. But again, she woke up around 8:00 after going to bed around 7:00 or 7:30 and cried practically non-stop until 10:30! 2 1/2 hours of non-stop crying! I called the doctor again but they didn't tell me anything different, just if she gets worse to let them know. Then Wednesday, still fussy off and on all day. She hadn't pooped since Monday night so I figured she was constipated, so after fussing off and on all day I called again and they said to bring her back in, even though we were already scheduled for their 9-month check up on Thursday. Again, everything checked out ok. Thursday was a little better, the 9-month well child appointment went well and today I think she's pretty much back to normal. Whew! It was a rough week.

No comments: