Skip to main content

Outings

Last Friday I took the girls to a free Gymboree class. They loved it and had a blast! It was very challenging for me, however, to get them to and from and manage them during. Normally I would use a stroller but I didn't want to put them in the stroller to walk the short distance from the car to the building, plus it was only a single wide door so it wouldn't have fit through. See, going to Target or Fred Meyer is easy--I park right next to a cart return so I can grab a cart/return the cart without having to take more than just a few steps from the car (I literally can still touch the car as I'm returning the cart). I put them in, go into the store, do our shopping, go back to the car, put them in the car, return the cart. But other places are a little more challenging. For the Gymboree class, I parked, got one baby out, carried her around to the other side of the car and put her down to get the other baby out, trying all the while to hold her in place with my legs to keep her from running off, then tried to carry one while the other walked holding my hand, but half way there she stopped and wanted to turn around so I ended up carrying them both, along with the diaper bag. We finally get inside and the class starts and they have this circle time when they're supposed to be on my lap or in front of me, but there are two of them and only one of me so the teacher had to do everything with one or the other instead of the props (puppets, etc.) she would normally use. Anyway, it was still fun.

Today I was going to take them to story time at the library, but I couldn't quite get everyone ready in time so we went grocery shopping instead. I wanted to use one of those "car" carts instead of a regular cart because when I use a regular cart, I have to put one of the girls in the main basket of the cart because only one will fit in the front child seat (well, they'd both fit but there are only 2 leg holes) so then there's not much room for groceries. So I had to, again, get them out of the car one at a time, putting one on the floor of the car while I got the other out so she couldn't run off, and then walk to the store carrying one and trying to let the other walk holding my hand, but again, she stopped halfway there and I had to pick her up and carry them both the rest of the way and then I had to get them strapped into the cart one at a time while trying not to let the other run off (I guess I could've put her in the main basket just while I was strapping the first one in. Duh. Just thought of that). Anyway, we finally get situated and into the store and I had to pee. Those carts are really long and it was really hard to get through the bathroom door, and then it wouldn't fit in the stall, of course, so I had to leave them outside the stall. While I was in the stall and they were out there alone someone walked in and they started crying! I hurried up and got back out there and they calmed down and then I almost couldn't get the cart back out through the bathroom door (long cart + 90 degree turn). Ugh. I sometimes feel like I'm the only mom of twins that has these struggles (of course, I can't be) because everyone on the message boards I read is always saying how great it is having twins, wouldn't change a thing, blah, blah, blah. I mean, some do say it's really hard and all but I rarely see anyone complaining about all the challenging things I'm complaining about. Maybe I'm just a big whiner and need to buck up and just be grateful I have these girls at all. No really, I really do love them to death and really am very grateful, but there are people out there on the aforementioned message boards that actually want twins and want to know if there's anything they can do to increase their chances of conceiving them, and I just think to myself, "if they had ANY idea..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now I'm also