Saturday, November 7, 2009


First of all, what 19/20-month old drops her nap???  Isn't that supposed to happen sometime after 2, if not 3 or 4?  Seriously, Kayley.  OK, so maybe she hasn't dropped it completely, but more often than not she doesn't take a nap.  Including yesterday.  No biggie, I'm getting pretty used to it and it's kind of nice to have a little one-on-one time with her.  BUT, then she proceeds to get up at 3:00 AM and not go back to sleep for a hour or so.  Sort of.  Here's what happened:

Kayley woke up around 3:00 AM.  I go in there and try my usual lay-her-back-down-and-rub-her-back-until-she-falls-asleep-and-then-quietly-sneak-out routine.  Not working.  So after 3 or 4 attempts (she would seem asleep, but when I'd try to leave she'd pop right back up and start fussing) I just got her up and let her play/wander in the loft while I laid down on the couch, the idea being that she would eventually fall asleep on the floor at which time I'd put her back in her crib and go back to sleep myself.  It's worked a time or two before but THIS time when she'd fall asleep and I'd attempt to transfer her to her crib, she would immediately stand up in her crib and start fussing.  Now, if she wasn't a twin, I'd just let her cry for a few minutes and she'd finally fall asleep.  But with twins I can't do that (except when I first put them to bed at night because they're both still awake) because she'll wake up her sister.  So I kept getting her up and let her fall asleep on the floor again.

After the second or third time falling asleep on the floor, I had resigned myself to the couch for the remainder of the night but first I wanted to pop on the computer for a second at which time Paul came out of the bedroom, saw Kayley asleep on the floor and attempted to put her back in her crib.  Guess what?  She stood up and started fussing and would not go to sleep.  So I got her up again and put her back down on her soft blankie on the floor.  By now Olivia was starting to stir from all the comotion of us going in and out of their room, but luckily she went back to sleep right away.  But it was about 5:00 AM at this point and Paul was about to just get up for the day and he started turning lights on and Kayley started to wake up for real but I knew that if we just let her be, on the floor, that she would go back to sleep and stay comfortably asleep until normal wake-up time.  So I convinced him to just leave her be, he went back to bed and I settled in on the couch and all was well until Olivia woke at 7:40.  So basically I was awake from 3:00 until about 5:15 (went to bed around 11:30), then slept on the couch from 5:15 off and on until 7:40.  And Kayley slept on the floor off and on from 4:00ish until 7:40.  Great night.  We had planned on taking them to the Children's Museum today but now we're too tired.

On a happier note, we met up with a neighbor and her 2-year-old at the mall's play area on Tuesday morning and had a great time.  It turns out that I could actually take the girls there by myself and be ok, so I'm really glad to know that I have that option.  I didn't think I could do it by myself but realized on Tuesday that it would be totally doable.  Then on Wednesday we went to storytime.  With the excpetion of last night, it's been a fun week.

1 comment:

Dana said...

We had fun too! :) Let's get together again soon, maybe a playdate at our house this time.