Skip to main content

A Bunch of Lasts as the Girls Finish Elementary School

I meant to publish this several days ago but just discovered it didn't publish.   We are now down to just 5 more days of school.

The girls have 8 more days of school.  And not just for this school year but 8 days left of elementary school altogether.  It’s the end of another era (the first major end of an era was when they started Kindergarten.  No more little babies/toddlers/preschoolers at home all day with me).  A few weeks ago was the 5th grade concert, their last elementary school concert ever.  A week or so before that was their last art walk, which I missed because of Olivia’s dance recital dress rehearsal, and a month or so ago was their last Bingo night which we also missed because of dance rehearsals.  Their very last elementary school field trip is tomorrow for Kayley's class and Friday for Olivia's.  I am going to chaperone Olivia’s.  I chaperoned quite a few field trips between Kindergarten and 2nd grade, but none since, so I figured it would be cool to chaperone the very last elementary school field trip ever.  And finally, tomorrow will be Olivia's last Girl Scout meeting ever.  Everything we've know for the last 6 years will be done/over/gone.


Olivia (center in olive green shirt) playing ukulele in the 5th grade concert   Kayley didn't want to go :(


This summer will be the first since I started working again 5 years ago that we will not have any type of nanny/childcare.  Paul will have most Mondays off and I will work from home two days per week.  The remaining two days per week the girls will just be home alone but I will go home on my lunch break and check on things.

Next year they will be in Middle School.  School will start much earlier which means I will get to work earlier and get home earlier (or actually start going to a gym a few days per week and then get home about the same time I do now).  I’m not looking forward to the earlier mornings but I am definitely looking forward to the earlier evenings!

So many changes.  Sad and exciting at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley