Skip to main content

Typical Day Lately

Today was the last full day of 5th grade/elementary school.  I haven’t done a “typical day” post in a long time and I've been meaning to document a typical school day this whole school year and just haven’t gotten around to it.  So here was our school day routine up until today and then I hope to document our summer routine once we get into the swing of it.

I get up between 6:30 and 7:00, depending on whether I’m going to shower or not (sometimes I shower at night).  After peeing and brushing my teeth, I go downstairs to let Kona out and make coffee.  Sometimes while the coffee is brewing I will sweep the floor or unload the dishwasher.  Then I pour myself some coffee and go back upstairs to get ready.

I usually finish getting ready around 8:00 and will then get the girls up if they are not already.  Then I go downstairs and make their lunches.  I have given up making them the night before because I just don’t want one. more. thing to do in the evenings.  Sometimes Olivia makes her own but not usually.  Starting next year I am definitely going to push them to make their own every day but for now I don’t mind.

While I’m making lunches and cleaning up they come downstairs and eat breakfast (Olivia anyway. Kayley usually doesn’t but they have a snack in class so whatever) and then gather their things, get their shoes on and are out the door at 8:35.  Then I finish getting my things together and try to leave by 8:50 but it's usually more like 8:55, which gets me to work at 9:00 or a few minutes after (LOVE my 5 minute commute!).

On my lunch break I usually go home to walk Kona or at least let her out and play with her a bit.  But this time of year when the weather is better I sometimes just leave her out all day and then run errands on my lunch break instead.  But I usually go home whether she’s out or not.

Paul gets home around 3:15 and the girls get home at 4:00.  I get home between 5:30 and 6, depending on when I leave work or if I stop at the store or whatever.  I fix dinner, sometimes for all of us but sometimes they've already eaten,  After I/we eat and clean up I usually play a game on my phone for a few minutes and then take the dog for a walk or maybe just fold laundry or watch a show.  Sometimes Olivia and I will watch something together and sometimes even Kayley will watch with us but not usually.  She is mostly just on her phone facetiming friends or making Tik Toks (videos).  Sometimes she paints or draws or does gymnastics.

At 9 or 9:30 we take the phones away and Olivia pretty much goes straight to sleep but Kayley takes awhile to get sleepy so she will draw or read for awhile.

9:30 to 11:00 is my alone time (Paul goes to bed around 9 because he gets up so early) and I usually do some combination of reading and watching TV/Netflix/Hulu, then I go to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

A Day in My Life

  It's time once again for the Multiples and More Question of the Week:  A Day in Your Life. What is your schedule like? Do you work outside the home or stay home with the kids?   I am very blessed to be a SAHM.  Our schedule looks something like this: The girls get up anywhere between 7:20 and 8:20, but usually around 8:00.  Lately I've been letting them watch an episode of Dora so I can get on the computer and check email, Facebook, etc.  Otherwise they just play for an hour or so and then we have breakfast. By the time we're done with breakfast (fixing, eating and cleaning up) it's usually between 9:30 and 10:00.  We get dressed, and then we go wherever we're going that day (errands, park, playdate, etc.).  If it's a stay home day, I'll usually do a DVD workout while they just play upstairs and then we'll go for a walk or play outside after. Lunch is anywhere between 12:00 and 1:00, and nap is 1:30 or 2:00 to 4:00 or 4:30. After their nap