Skip to main content

Keto Update

I started Keto on the 1st.  As of the 9th, I had lost 6 pounds.  Then I had to travel for work.  I left on the afternoon of the 9th, so 2 meals were still at home (or brought from home to work) and I only had dinner to worry about.  Luckily, the restaurant we ate at had some low-carb options.  I had a blackened chicken zucchini noodle thing, but I also had a “skinny” margarita (and not necessarily low-carb).

The hotel offered a free breakfast, but I was worried that it would only include bagels, doughnuts, etc.  So I ventured down Friday morning and luckily, there were scrambled eggs and sausage.  So far, so good.

Then it was time for the complimentary lunch.  Sandwiches, chips, cookies and an apple.  I ate the sandwich, bread and all, because it would have been hard and messy to try and eat only the meat and veggies.  I did remove the processed “cheese” slice, though.  I ate the chips (Sun Chips), because I wanted to, and I tossed the apple, which I would have anyway because it was Red Delicious which are anything but, all mealy and gross.  Hate those.  The cookies I took back to the hotel for later because they were a kind I’ve never seen before and I just wanted to try them (bite size vanilla blueberry something or other).  I did try a few later and threw the rest away.  Dinner was out at a bar and grill type place and I ended up getting some sort of wrap (it was supposed to be chicken Caesar but there was no chicken and the salad part wasn’t really Caesar, but whatever it was it was good) and fries.  I was hungry because it was like 8:00 by now and those fries tasted SO good!  I also had a glass of wine.  I only ate half of the wrap, though.

Saturday was eggs and bacon at the hotel, and then would have been the same sandwich/chips/apple for lunch but we cut out early and drove to Huntington Beach where we had delicious margaritas, street tacos (me) and chips and salsa at an open air Mexican restaurant.  Chips and salsa was the one thing I had been craving (normally I crave sweets and chocolate) so it was SO good!

So after all that, I weighed in Sunday morning (got home late Saturday night) and was up 1.6.  But I got right back on track, and the next day I was down 2, so there.  And as of yesterday, my total loss so far is 11.6!  Whoo-hoo!  This is the first time in about 11 years that I have lost more than 9 pounds, and I did it in 23 days!  I know I won't keep losing at that rate but that's ok.

The one thing that really surprises me about this lifestyle is that I’m never hungry.  I eat breakfast in the morning because I know I should and then most days I’m still not hungry well into the afternoon.  Sometimes all I have for lunch is a piece of cheese because I’m just not hungry.  And I don’t really have cravings, which is HUGE for me.  I did that one time for chips and salsa, but that’s it!

Yesterday was my birthday and we all went out to dinner.  I had salmon that came with green beans and mashed potatoes.  I ate the salmon and green beans but not the potatoes.  Tonight Paul and I have a birthday date night and we are going to a high end steak house.  I will have steak and veggies, no potato or bread, but I AM going to have a glass or two of wine, screw it!

A Keto lunch: turkey, cheese, parmesan cheese Whisps and guacamole

Things like this are why this lifestyle is fairly easy to stick to.  Made with peanut butter, almond flour, natural sugar-free sweetener (would have used Monk fruit but didn't have any, so it's Swerve, I think) and Lily's milk chocolate (and butter and I forget what else)

Keto pancakes, surprisingly ok



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now I'm also