Skip to main content

Blessed

Back in the mid-90s Elton John came out with a song called "Blessed".  It refers to an as-yet-unconceived but much anticipated child.  At the time I was about 26 or 27, single and very concerned for my own ability to marry and have children by, say, my early 30s, which at the time was my "deadline".  I had recently moved to a new city and didn't know many people, and the people I did know were guys that I worked with (no girls to go out with to meet men).  Years later I would discover several social clubs/organizations through which I would meet lots of people but at the time I didn't know of them and had a hard time meeting potential dates.  The 50 or so extra pounds that I would eventually lose 35ish of probably didn't help, either.  Anyway, while I did really enjoy being single, especially later when the above-mentioned people-meeting improvements were made, as the years ticked by I grew more and more worried that by the time I finally got married I would be too old to have kids and I would obsess about it all. the. time.  (Turns out I had every reason to be worried, as, lo and behold I wouldn't marry until I was 37 and, well, the rest is on the right side of my blog.)  So when this song came out, I couldn't believe how right-on the lyrics were for what I was feeling about my future child(ren).  I dedicated it to him/her/them then, all those years ago.  When I first found out I was pregnant I played this song for them in my car as tears streamed down my face and would play it for them in the womb many times after that.  But I always wanted to write them a letter to explain all of this so hear it is.  So Olivia and Kayley, in honor of your 2nd birthday, this is for you:

Hey you, you're a child in my head
You haven't walked yet
Your first words have yet to be said
But I swear you'll be blessed

I know you're still just a dream
Your eyes might be green
Or the bluest that I've ever seen
Anyway, you'll be blessed

And you, you'll be blessed
You'll have the best
I promise you that
I'll pick a start from the sky
Pull your name from a hat
I promise you that, promise you that, promise you that
You'll be blessed

I need you before I'm too old
To have and to hold
To walk with you and watch you grow
And know that you're blessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley