Skip to main content

Not Enough Sleep

The girls don't get enough sleep.  I've been keeping track and about half the time they get less than 11 hours per day and the rest of the time they get a little more than 11, but definitely less than 12.  They should (according to Babycenter) be getting between 11 and 14 (so, half the time they barely get the minimum).  This has been the case for  last 9+ months, when they dropped their nap at exactly 2.5 years of age.  For the most part they seem to do fine on this amount, occasionally falling asleep in the car or less often on the couch in the late afternoon/early evening.  But lately they seem to almost always get really cranky and fussy in the late afternoon/early evening.  Then they get super wound up right before bed, which I've read is actually a sign of overtiredness.  So I'm trying to figure out how I can get them to sleep more.  I can't put them to bed earlier, because they simply won't stay in bed, let alone go to sleep.  We have a hard enough time getting them to bed between 9:00 and 9:30.  Any earlier is downright impossible.  It seems logical that if I started getting them up earlier in the morning that they would in turn go to bed earlier, but first of all, that only solves the issue of them staying up "too late", not of getting more sleep, as they would still only get 10-11 hours, they'd just be on an earlier schedule.  Second of all, it wouldn't work anyway, because more often than not they would just fall asleep in the late afternoon/early evening and still stay up late.  Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley