Skip to main content

Flu Shot Debacle

You know how sometimes you're at Target or the grocery store or wherever and there's a small child having a complete meltdown?  I'm proud and relieved to say that in 4 1/2 years that has never happened to us (a little fussyness once in awhile and the obnoxiousness that I've written about, but never a total scene-causing, embarassing meltdown).  Until yesterday.

Every fall since the girls were born, I've taken them to their pediatrician for their annual flu shot.  Last year and the year before, when they were 3 and 2 respectively, they didn't even cry.  This year I decided that all 3 of us could just get one at Target instead of making a special trip to the pedi, since I'd be getting mine there anyway.  So yesterday I was going to Target anyway, and they really wanted to come with me (I was of course hoping to go alone).  So I let them come, and I mentioned that we should all get our flu shot since we'll be there anyway.  But once we were there I decided I really didn't want to deal with it then (it was getting kind of late and I needed to get home to make dinner) but Kayley really wanted to.  Yes, that's right.  My 4-year-old was asking to please get a flu shot.  We had been making a big deal about how brave they were and didn't cry the last two times, etc.  Olivia on the other hand really DID NOT want to get one.

So I went ahead and went up to the pharmacy and requested flu shots for all 3 of us.  I figured once I went first, then Kayley, and Olivia saw how easy it was for us she'd be fine.  Oh boy, was I wrong.  When it came to be her turn, she started SHRIEKING at the top of her lungs.  I was mortified.  I kept trying to calm her down and reason with her, even bribe her with a treat, but nothing worked.  We ended up leaving without the shot and were supposed to go back today but I just know the same thing will happen.  Besides, we were going to go on the way home from church but I ended up not going to church because my eye is all red and irritated and looks yucky.

Now I'm not sure what we're going to do about her shot.  I'm thinking that our insurance will already have a claim for the one at target and not cover another one if we were to take her to the pedi.  I guess I'll have to take her back to Target, try again (maybe with Paul so we can both hold her down and/or just tell them to hurry and do it, instead of waiting for her to calm down like they were doing yesterday) and if that doesn't work hopefully they can not run it through our insurance or somehow take it back if they already have.  Sigh.  From now on, I will continue to just take her to the pedi for flu shots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley