Skip to main content

Flu Shot Debacle

You know how sometimes you're at Target or the grocery store or wherever and there's a small child having a complete meltdown?  I'm proud and relieved to say that in 4 1/2 years that has never happened to us (a little fussyness once in awhile and the obnoxiousness that I've written about, but never a total scene-causing, embarassing meltdown).  Until yesterday.

Every fall since the girls were born, I've taken them to their pediatrician for their annual flu shot.  Last year and the year before, when they were 3 and 2 respectively, they didn't even cry.  This year I decided that all 3 of us could just get one at Target instead of making a special trip to the pedi, since I'd be getting mine there anyway.  So yesterday I was going to Target anyway, and they really wanted to come with me (I was of course hoping to go alone).  So I let them come, and I mentioned that we should all get our flu shot since we'll be there anyway.  But once we were there I decided I really didn't want to deal with it then (it was getting kind of late and I needed to get home to make dinner) but Kayley really wanted to.  Yes, that's right.  My 4-year-old was asking to please get a flu shot.  We had been making a big deal about how brave they were and didn't cry the last two times, etc.  Olivia on the other hand really DID NOT want to get one.

So I went ahead and went up to the pharmacy and requested flu shots for all 3 of us.  I figured once I went first, then Kayley, and Olivia saw how easy it was for us she'd be fine.  Oh boy, was I wrong.  When it came to be her turn, she started SHRIEKING at the top of her lungs.  I was mortified.  I kept trying to calm her down and reason with her, even bribe her with a treat, but nothing worked.  We ended up leaving without the shot and were supposed to go back today but I just know the same thing will happen.  Besides, we were going to go on the way home from church but I ended up not going to church because my eye is all red and irritated and looks yucky.

Now I'm not sure what we're going to do about her shot.  I'm thinking that our insurance will already have a claim for the one at target and not cover another one if we were to take her to the pedi.  I guess I'll have to take her back to Target, try again (maybe with Paul so we can both hold her down and/or just tell them to hurry and do it, instead of waiting for her to calm down like they were doing yesterday) and if that doesn't work hopefully they can not run it through our insurance or somehow take it back if they already have.  Sigh.  From now on, I will continue to just take her to the pedi for flu shots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

A Day in My Life

  It's time once again for the Multiples and More Question of the Week:  A Day in Your Life. What is your schedule like? Do you work outside the home or stay home with the kids?   I am very blessed to be a SAHM.  Our schedule looks something like this: The girls get up anywhere between 7:20 and 8:20, but usually around 8:00.  Lately I've been letting them watch an episode of Dora so I can get on the computer and check email, Facebook, etc.  Otherwise they just play for an hour or so and then we have breakfast. By the time we're done with breakfast (fixing, eating and cleaning up) it's usually between 9:30 and 10:00.  We get dressed, and then we go wherever we're going that day (errands, park, playdate, etc.).  If it's a stay home day, I'll usually do a DVD workout while they just play upstairs and then we'll go for a walk or play outside after. Lunch is anywhere between 12:00 and 1:00, and nap is 1:30 or 2:00 to 4:00 or 4:30. After their nap