Skip to main content

Pantry Re-org

I love a good organizational project any time of year, but especially at the beginning of the year.  At the start of every year I have plans to go through every single room/cabinet/closet/drawer in the entire house (not all in one day, obviously), but rarely actually do.  Just a little here and there but only ever a small percentage of the whole house. I wasn't planning on doing the pantry yesterday, but just kind of decided to on a whim.  I had finally broke down and ordered a tiered canned good shelf that arrived yesterday so it seemed liked a great time to get started.  Here is what it looked like before:



That's the door going out to the garage, so this room also acts as a mud room.  Under the shelves on the floor are plastic bins that we put our shoes (and sometimes hats and gloves) in, one for each family member plus an extra.  Then there is the garbage/recycling and a container of cat food


On this side, I have a step stool, dog food, cat litter and a large cutting board that I mostly just use for turkey at Christmas (I rarely host Thanksgiving).


Hmmm...doesn't really look that bad from this angle, but still pretty cluttered


The first thing I did was remove all the shoes and other things on the floor and sweep and mop.  Then I removed most of the rest and purged, consolidated and reorganized.
You can't really tell in this photo, but just to the right of the vertical white bar is a clear plastic lazy susan, which is holding bottles of sauces/condiments. I already had that, but it had some canned goods and the rest of the canned goods were just on a shelf but now are all neatly contained on the new tiered shelf





These pictures don't really do it justice, but it really is much better.  Now if only it will last beyond next weekend!  We'll see...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley