Friday, October 21, 2011

My Issues with Couponing

Kelly's Show Us Your Life topic today is couponing.  Since becoming a stay-at-home mom I've tried to explore the world of couponing a few different times, but have given up on it.  I have two main issues.

1.  I have found that most coupons are for items that I don't need/want.  Things like Hamburger Helper or canned veggies.  No thanks.

2.  Coupon items that I actually need, like paper towels or cleaning supplies for instance, are still more expensive than the store brand, so I just buy the store brand instead.

I've also had bad experiences with coupon websites.  I've tried them a few different times and have always had to download software or a special application to my computer, and then I've had trouble trying to print the coupons.  The first time I tried it I couldn't get any of the coupons to actually print, and the second time I finally got one out of several to print, after much effort.  So I've given up on those websites.

I do find store coupons for things like eggs, cheese, butter, bread, orange juice, etc., in the paper and I'll use those, but that's about the extent of my couponing.

2 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I have the same issues with printing coupons...so glad to hear I'm not crazy! :)

There are certain things I never buy without a coupon...batteries, a lot of personal care items, salad dressing, and many cleaning supplies, for example. I agree that the majority of the coupons are for pre-packaged gunk that I don't (or try not to) use, though.

Have you ever watched the extreme couponing show on TV? That's what I always want to ask...how can you eat through 100 boxes of Hamburger Helper??? :)

At the end of the month, I probably save $30 by using coupons, on stuff that I would buy anyway. That's not much...but I figure it supports my Starbucks habit.

Lynn said...

I'm in the same boat. And I NEVER have them with me when I do find use for them :(

Found you at Kelly's blog...I'm your newest follower :)