Skip to main content

Bad Luck

We recently dropped our home phone, traded Comcast cable for Direct TV and switched our internet service from Comcast to Century Link in an effort to save some money.  While we enjoy the services so far, the transition itself has been very frustrating.

It all started on Monday the 13th.  Direct TV came out, did their thing and all was well.  But Tuesday morning I couldn't get hardly any channels.  Snow was the culprit (it interferes with the satelite signal or whatever).  Could be interesting next winter, as we get quite a bit of snow where we live (not like Minnesota amounts, but much more than most of the Puget Sound area).  Also, the downstairs TV had a bad data card (or whatever), so the technician had to come back on Tuesday and fix that.

Meanwhile, the Century Link technician came on Monday also to connect our internet, but the conduit he needed was plugged up with debris, so we had to wait a few days for someone to come fix that, and then he came back on Friday the 16th.  Fortunately, our Comcast internet was still working, even though it was supposed to end on Monday.  Up until this point, I had planned on leaving Friday morning to do some marathon shopping because the girls were at grandma and grandpa's for the weekend.  But now that the Century Link tech was here, I was stuck at home, and didn't get to leave until about 12:40.  I needed to be home by 5:00ish to fix and eat dinner with Paul before he left to join the girls at his parents' (he was going skiing the next day with his sister and I was going to have the whole weekend to myself to do whatever I wanted) so that didn't give me much time to do all the things I had wanted.  Then we discovered that evening that it wasn't even working anymore!  UGH!  Paul called them and they tried some things over the phone but they weren't able to fix it and the tech was going to have to come back, but we got disconnected after being on hold for a long time and never got to schedule an appointment.  So I spent my entire free weekend with no internet (other than my new smartphone) and couldn't do many of the projects I had planned, mainly tagging items for the consigment sale this weekend that I am no longer going to participate in because I couldn't get anything ready and now it's too late.

Monday I called CL back and was able to schedule an appointment for this morning, and finally our internet is working.  What a week.

I seem to always have really bad luck with new things.  It seems like everything I buy either doesn't work right (at least the first time), or falls apart, or something.  Awhile back we had to get a new faucet for our kitchen sink, and a few days later it was leaking and we had to have them come back and fix it.  Years ago I bought a TV, got it home and hooked it up, and it didn't work.  I had to haul it back and get a new one and it was fine.  I bought a toy for the girls when they were 6 months old that was supposed to play 5 different songs but one of them almost never worked.  The other 4 did, so I didn't bother returning or exchanging it.  Several years ago I bought a new cell phone and it never worked right.  People couldn't hear me.  I had to exchange it.  On and on and on.  And now not only or brand new Direct TV didn't work right at first, but the new internet service also.  What are the chances?  Gees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now I'm also