Thursday, July 5, 2012

Early July, 2007

Since I wasn't blogging yet when we went through IVF and got pregnant with the girls, I've decided to use the 5th anniversary to commemorate the event.  It was 5 years ago today that we found out I was pregnant.

We had an appointment in the morning for my blood draw (beta).  I mentioned before how I didn't want to test any of the days leading up until the 5th because it was either too early or could potentially ruin the 4th of July holiday or make me unable to go to work, so I had to wait until the 5th to test (I took the day off from work, and if it would have been negative, I probably would've taken Friday, too).  I didn't want to test before my appointment, because if it had been negative I didn't want to have to put myself through the whole ordeal already knowing I'm not pregnant.  I definitely wanted to find out in the privacy of my own home, though, not over the phone from a nurse.  So I decided to finally test when we got home from the appointment, but before they called with the results.  And for the first time in my life, I didn't have to pee for like, two hours.  Figures.  (In hindsight, I should have peed in a cup first thing in the morning and just dipped the stick as soon as we got home, but that didn't occur to me, plus, having a cup of urine sitting around the bathroom is kinda gross.)  I remember being kind of worried that they were going to call with the results before I'd had a chance to test!  Finally, a few hours after getting home, I had to pee. I did the test and set it on the counter without looking. Then Paul and I decided to take a walk around our condo complex rather than just sit there in agony for 3 minutes (I'm sure a line appeared right away, but I didn't want to sit there and watch and have it not appear). When we returned from our walk, we raced upstairs and into the bathroom, but he was ahead of me and right before I got through the bathroom door I heard him say, "you're pregnant!". I grabbed the stick, saw those two lines and we just hugged and cried.

That night we went to dinner to celebrate.  The next day was Friday and I had to go to work.  I wasn't going to tell anyone at work until I was 12 weeks, so I didn't mention anything.  I felt funny all day, not morning sickness but just weird.  I wonder if I would have felt that way had I still not known, or if it was more of a pyschological thing-now that I know I'm pregnant I suddenly feel weird. 

Anyway, Saturday I had my second beta (which, by the way, almost tripled from 501 to 1400) and then we left to spend the weekend at Crescent Bar, just the two (four?) of us.  I was really tired that day (and most days thereafter), and very emotional.  I remember watching some movie that normally wouldn't make me cry and I was just bawling.

I suspected twins right away, given my beta numbers.  A few weeks later it was confirmed!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Great post! I was blogging when I got pregnant with our twin boys, so it's all out there. I didn't suspect twins, but DH did. It was so funny going to the ultrasound that showed us we were having twins! I was shocked!