Skip to main content

Multiples and More Question of the Week: Crying it Out (CIO)



This weeks QOTW topic at Multiples and More is on the controversial subject of CIO, or crying it out, a sleep training method.

How do you feel about CIO?  Personally, I'm not a fan, but if it works for others that's fine.  It really wasn't an option for me, having twins (as it was, the second either one of them made a sound I was in there in a flash to quiet and/or remove them in an attempt to not wake the other), but even if it were I don't think I would have used it.  I just couldn't stand by and listen to my baby cry for 20 minutes.  Although, Kayley did go through a phase where she just wouldn't go to sleep at bedtime and we finally did just let her cry for 20 minutes one night, despite poor Olivia having to listen to and put up with her.   The next night it was only 10 minutes and the next night it was back to normal.  Because I knew that the only reason she was crying was that she simply wanted to stay up and play, I was able to tolerate it.  But if it had been a situation where I didn't know why the heck she was crying, I wouldn't have been able to not try to comfort her.  So as far as using CIO on a regular basis, I don't think I could have done it, even with a singleton.  Fortunately, my girls started sleeping through the night (STTN) at 2 1/2 and 3 months, and if they did wake up in the middle of the night it was pretty easy to get them back to sleep.  I never really needed any kind of sleep training.

Did you use this method for sleep training?  No.  See above.

If you are against it, do you feel that it is damaging in any way to a child?  Probably not long term, but I just can't help but feel bad for a baby left to cry for long periods of time without being comforted.  Even though I know that with CIO it's only after you've ruled out hunger, dirty diaper, sickness, etc.  Still, what if they're just scared or just wanting mommy for whatever reason?  I don't know...

How well did/do your multiples sleep?  Very well most of the time.  They've gone through phases where they only sleep 8 1/2 or 9 hours at night (but napped for 3) or skipped their nap a few days a week, but for the most part they've been really great.

Do you think you are/were more likely to allow a child to CIO because he/she is a multiple?  On the contrary!  Being a multiple ruled it out completely.  It's all about doing everything possible to NOT wake the sleeping baby!

What instances do you think it is appropriate, or inappropriate to allow a child to CIO?  I think it's totally up to the parents to decide if it's appropriate for their child/situation.  While I personally am not a fan, I don't have a problem with other people doing CIO if they feel it's right for them.  The only time I would say that it is NOT appropriate is if the child is sick or other things like hunger have not been ruled out.

Comments

Safire said…
Sounds like the sleep thing is working for you too. :) I love sleep! (As I'm sure we all do.)

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

First Snow of 2025

Yesterday it snowed for the first time this year.  I love when it snows when I don't have to go anywhere and can just stay home and admire it.  It snowed more today, and we took Kona out for a walk in the woods.  So pretty.

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley