Skip to main content

Storm Duty

I work for the power company, so whenever there is a wind storm with significant power outages, I have to work, often through the night.  In this case, the storm happened Tuesday evening/early Wednesday morning, we woke up to no power on Wednesday morning and I got assigned 2nd shift (6:00 PM to 6:00 AM) starting that night.  I didn't work my normal shift on Wednesday, because like I said, we had no power and since we had no power, when it was time to report for storm duty I had to go to one of our bases instead of being able to work from home.  Paul worked his normal shift Wednesday then had to report at 3:00 AM Thursday so we had to have the girls stay with a neighbor.  When Paul got up at 1:30something to go to work he called to let me know the power had just come back on, so at least I would be able to work from home any subsequent shifts.  By the time I got home Thursday morning and got to bed, it was a little after 7:00 AM.  I slept off and on until about 1:30, then ate "breakfast", took Kona for a walk, did some laundry and took a nap in preparation for another night shift.  Then it was back to work at 6:00 PM until 6:00 AM Friday morning, and again same shift Friday evening to Saturday morning.  Luckily, we're done and I don't have to work tonight, but man, I'm a zombie today and way behind on all my shows.

There was no school on Wednesday due to the power outage, and unable to play video games Kayley ended up sitting by the fireplace (thank goodness we have a gas fireplace for heat in these situations) reading an Anime book (or "manga", I guess they're called).  Later, Maisy of course curled up on blanket by the fire.  She kind of blends into the blanket and is hard to see.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Anniversary

Today is the 5-year anniversary of my embryo transfer!  5 years ago today I became pregnant with my girls (I wrote about it in more detail a few years ago).  It was a Saturday that year, also. Olivia and Kayley at 3 days post conception (wish I knew which one was which): And Olivia and Kayley 5 years later: That photo is actually a few weeks old.  I tried to take one for today and this is what I ended up with: {Sigh}

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now...

Senior Prom

Last Friday was the girls' Senior Prom.  A whole group of them met at a nearby park for photos, then they broke off into smaller groups and went to dinner and Prom.  Olivia and her group rented an Air B&B for the night, and Kayley spent the night at a friend's house with another friend or two. Olivia and Gavin (just friends) Everyone Just the guys Just the girls Olivia and Kayley