Skip to main content

Encouraging Individuality



Multiples and More Question of the Week:  How do you encourage your multiples to develop and maintain their own individual identities?

Do you plan to, or already separate them in school?  I think a lot of schools have policies about not having twins in the same class, so I'm guessing the girls will be separated.  I don't really have a preference yet, as they are only 2.  I don't think being in the same class would necessarily hinder their individuality but I do think being separated would encourage them to interact with more/other people and develop other friendships that they maybe wouldn't otherwise.

Do you encourage your kids to pursue separate interests, or try to keep them in the same activities?  I do now and will always encourage them to pursue their own interests.  I would never force one to participate in an activity just because her sister is into it.  I will, however, encourage them to try new things, but ultimately they will be encouraged to pursue whatever it is they enjoy, be it tennis or math club, track or marching band.

What are your feelings on dressing multiples alike? Coordinating names?  No, and no!  I've always said that if I ever had twins (and I never in a million years thought I would) I would never, ever, ever, EVER dress them alike.  I LOATHE the idea for 3 reasons.  One, it's just way too cutesy-cutesy for me.  Two, they ARE individuals!  To me, dressing them alike is treating them like they're the same person.  Three, they each have double the wardrobe by me buying, say, 4 different outfits instead of 2 each of the same 2 outfits.  That being said, I have made an occasional exception:  matching Seahawk outfits, the occasional matching jammies because we just happen to have 2 of the same and that's what's clean, and last Christmas, gasp, matching dresses because I couldn't find 2 different ones that I liked that looked decent together.

If your kids are older, do they still like to, or choose to dress alike?  N/A.  I am going to assume and hope that they will chose to keep dressing differently, but if they chose to dress alike when they're older (and old enough to buy at least some of their own clothes) that's their choice.

What specific things do you do to help encourage your children's individuality?  Basically, I just try to provide them with the opportunity and supplies to do the things I know they like to do.  Kayley likes to color and build things, so I'll color with her, buy new coloring books, play with legos, etc.  Olivia likes to help with housework, so I'll let her sweep and dust and put clothes in the dryer, etc.  Whenver they show an interest in something new, I try to teach them what I can or just encourage them to participate in that particular thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

A Day in My Life

  It's time once again for the Multiples and More Question of the Week:  A Day in Your Life. What is your schedule like? Do you work outside the home or stay home with the kids?   I am very blessed to be a SAHM.  Our schedule looks something like this: The girls get up anywhere between 7:20 and 8:20, but usually around 8:00.  Lately I've been letting them watch an episode of Dora so I can get on the computer and check email, Facebook, etc.  Otherwise they just play for an hour or so and then we have breakfast. By the time we're done with breakfast (fixing, eating and cleaning up) it's usually between 9:30 and 10:00.  We get dressed, and then we go wherever we're going that day (errands, park, playdate, etc.).  If it's a stay home day, I'll usually do a DVD workout while they just play upstairs and then we'll go for a walk or play outside after. Lunch is anywhere between 12:00 and 1:00, and nap is 1:30 or 2:00 to 4:00 or 4:30. After their nap