Skip to main content

The Pop-In

The girls have made several friends in the neighborhood that they play with pretty much on a daily basis.  Some we pre-arrange playdates with, others we mostly play with when we happen to run into each other outside or at the park, and a few, like Elaine from "Seinfeld" are big fans of the "pop-in".  There is one neighbor girl in particular who is very social and wants to be playing with someone every minute of every day, and several times a week we can count on a knock on the door from either her (accompanied by her mother) or another girl (who is only 3 and frequently knocks on our door by herself.  Sure, we're only 5 houses down, but still).

I personally hate the pop-in, because there is always something I want to do that gets interrupted or post-poned, or sometimes I just don't feel like being social or having to entertain anybody, especially so spontaneousely, but the girls love to have friends over and obviously it's good for them to socialize with their friends so I let it slide.  And they don't always play here, either.  They take turns playing at each other's houses but this one friend in particular has a younger sister who still naps so they usually at least start here for awhile before moving on to their friend's house.

 
Anyway, it's gotten to the point where every single day I'm constanly wondering if someone's going to come over.  As I go about my daily tasks, I'm constantly thinking that there could be a knock on the door any second.  I hate that feeling.  It's pretty unsettling.  Oh well.  If I really needed to I could always just tell whomever that we're busy or whatever, and there have been times when I've turned someone away (until later) because we were in the middle of breakfast or lunch or getting ready to go somewhere or whatever.  But for the most part, it's not that big of a deal becuase at least when they have friends over they are occupied and it's actually easier to get things done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now I'm also