Skip to main content

Summer Vacation - Week 10

Last Friday we went to Crescent Bar for the last time this summer and stayed until Wednesday.  It's such an awesome, laid-back time there, just spending the days by the pool, reading, drinking coffee on the deck in the morning or sipping wine in the evenings.  Love it.  The girls are old enough now that they can play in the pool and we don't have to be right there the whole time, as long as we are fairly close.  So we can actually sit on a lawnchair and read while they're swimming.  I wish I would have gotten a video of their swimming.  They are so much improved from last year, or even earlier this summer.

We came home on Wednesday and then went to the transportation open house, where the girls got their bus schedule and got to see inside a bus.

Thursday they had a playdate with a friend whose mom is going to lead a Girl Scout troop to see how all the potential troop-mates got along and to get information on the whole Girl Scout thing.  The girls really want to join so I guess we're going to have a few Daisies on our hands come fall.




Yesterday I took them to Justice to do a little school shopping.  Normally that store is WAY too expensive, but everything was buy one, get one free.  Even so, I paid more for one tee shirt than I would at either Osh Kosh or Children's Place, but they do seem like they're way better quality.  I knew trying to shop with both of them would be really hard and I was right.  They were of course WAY more interested in all the toys/notebooks/diaries/fake nails/lip gloss/candy, etc. than the clothes.  Again, I would totally just shop for them by myself but then they won't wear half the stuff I buy.  We have enough now though that I should be able to finish up by myself, and I'll just make sure that they like what I buy before I take the tags off and wash anything.

For some strange reason Kayley loved this shirt - "Tacocat spelled backwards is 'tacocat' "
 


They love cats, horses and Olivia is really into peace signs!

Comments

Heather said…
Hi Jill! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would answer a quick question I have about your blog :-) My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now I'm also