Skip to main content

A Day in My Life

 

It's time once again for the Multiples and More Question of the Week:  A Day in Your Life.

What is your schedule like? Do you work outside the home or stay home with the kids?  I am very blessed to be a SAHM.  Our schedule looks something like this:

The girls get up anywhere between 7:20 and 8:20, but usually around 8:00.  Lately I've been letting them watch an episode of Dora so I can get on the computer and check email, Facebook, etc.  Otherwise they just play for an hour or so and then we have breakfast.

By the time we're done with breakfast (fixing, eating and cleaning up) it's usually between 9:30 and 10:00.  We get dressed, and then we go wherever we're going that day (errands, park, playdate, etc.).  If it's a stay home day, I'll usually do a DVD workout while they just play upstairs and then we'll go for a walk or play outside after.

Lunch is anywhere between 12:00 and 1:00, and nap is 1:30 or 2:00 to 4:00 or 4:30.

After their nap we just play for awhile, outside whenever the weather permits, then daddy takes over so I can start dinner.  We eat between 6:00 and 6:30, then they either watch a DVD or play with dad while I clean up.  A few nights a week I'll go to the gym and Paul will clean up.  If I don't go to the gym, we sometimes take a post-dinner walk to the park.

Around 8:30 we start getting ready for bed:  bath (every 2-3 nights), jammies, brush teeth, books.  Bedtime is usually 9:00, but sometimes ends up being 9:30.

Do you follow it very closely?  Pretty much.  We're totally flexible if we need to go to an event or family function or what-not, but otherwise I cherish that naptime way too much to allow them to miss it or cut it short too often!

How much (or how little?) "help" do you have?  Just enough.  Paul is excellent about chipping in.

What chores do you do on a daily basis?  Laundry, laundry, laundry.  It's never ending.  There's usually a day or two every week that I don't do any but most days I do at least one load.  Other than that, just picking up, dishes, and sweeping the kitchen floor.  I also vacuum the downstairs almost every day.

Do you get any "me" time on an average day? What do you do then?  I'm very lucky to get a decent amount most days.  The girls take a 2 1/2-, sometimes 3-hour nap most days, so that is my "me" time and I rarely do any housework during that time other than clean up from lunch.  Instead, I play on the computer (blog, Facebook, etc.) and read.  Occasionally I'll clean a bathroom or fold laundry while watching "Ellen".
I get even more "me" time in the evenings after everyone else goes to bed.  Paul gets up really early for work so he usually goes to bed by 9:30.  I like to play on the computer some more or watch Seinfeld or Friends reruns on TV.

What is your favorite part of each day?  Naptime, duh.  Other than that, I would say the hour between first getting up and breakfast.  I like to watch the Today show while we play and no one is bored with anything yet.

What is your least favorite part of each day?  Right after nap.  Especially if the weather is bad and we've been couped up inside all day.  I sometimes start to get really bored about then, but luckily that's about when Paul gets home and he can take over and I have to start dinner anyway.

Are you able to make time for all the things that you want/need to fit in?  No.  If you could fit it all in, what else would you do?  Paint, hang curtains, finish their baby book, finish our wedding scrapbook (hello, it's been 4 years!), work on the girls' scrapbook,  figure out which model horses I want to sell on Ebay and take pictures and list them, miscellaneous cleaning and organizing, see friends and family more...

Comments

Hi there

Over from Multiples and more - I enjoyed reading about your day and WOW, how on earth do you get the kids to sleep so long???
Visiting from Multiples and More, sounds like you have a pretty good balance going on. Good for you. As far as baby books, my boys are 3 and theres aren't even close to being finished. :)
Laundry is never-ending at our house, too, but I think the dishes amaze me even more. Some days when I do a lot of cooking (like today), I'll run a very full dishwasher TWICE. Unbelieveable! :)
Sadia said…
Does your routine vary on weekends? I'm always curious to know whether SAHMs stick to the same routine all week, or differentiate between week and weekend. I suppose it depends on the age of the kids.
Jill said…
Yes, our routine is pretty much the same on weekends, also. The only difference is my husband is around to help. But if we go anywhere, we still try to work around naptime.

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

The Girls' Room

So it's kids' rooms this week at Kelly's Korner Home Tours.  Unfortunately, we haven't finished the girls' room make-over.  We recently transitioned from toddler beds to twins.  I would have loved to get bunk beds to save space, but the twin beds were given to us by friends of Paul's parents so we're making do.  They were wood-colored (oak, maybe?) so we painted them white.  It was challenging to figure out how to arrange their furniture because of the alcove/nook thingie on one side.  I couldn't do the obvious two beds perpedicular to the wall with a nightstand in between configuration, so I had to compromise. There are lots of finishing touches still to be done.  We need to replace their dresser, get a nightstand, put up a shelf (ledge) or two and some wall art, and curtains.  We're also going to paint.  I've had my heart set on purple for a long time, which is why I chose this bedding with some purple but not too much, but now I'm also