Skip to main content

Show Us Your Life - Proposals

The topic this week at Kelly's Korner is proposals.  Here is our story.

Paul and I started dating in late January of 2005.  By May or so I was pretty sure I wanted to marry him but I could tell he wasn't quite there.  But things progressed nicely, and when we had our 6-month anniversary dinner one night in August I felt for the first time that this was really it!

In October we had our first discussion of possibly getting engaged soon.  We talked about going ring shopping!  I would have liked the whole thing to be a surprise, but I liked the idea of being able to pick out my own ring.  A few weeks later we went ring shopping and I picked out the ring but left the stone selection to him.  So now it was a matter of him going back to chose a stone, having it set, and then he could finally propose at a time and location unknown to me.  On the way back to his house, we chose our date:  May 13, 2006.  It was so weird for the next few weeks to have a date set but not actually be engaged.  Thanksgiving was approaching, and I really wanted to be able to announce it to my family, but I was still waiting for that proposal.  The darn ring wasn't ready yet!

On Saturday, December 3rd, we had plans to do something, I don't remember what exactly.  When Paul picked me up he told me that he had sold some skis to a co-worker and needed to deliver them before we went wherever it was we were going that day.  This "co-worker" just happened to live on Queen Anne hill, close to the site of our first kiss.  There is a park on Queen Anne hill with spectacular views of the city that we had stopped at after one of our early dates, and that's where we kissed for the first time.  So, as we were driving by said park on our way to this "co-worker's" place, he asked if we should stop there for a second.  I said sure, not thinking anything of it.  For like a fraction of a second I though, "wait...could this be it?" but I quickly dismissed it.  We were headed to Leavenworth the following weekend for the annual Christmas Tree Lighting and I was really thinking that would be it.  Apparently, he figured as much and wanted to throw me off.  So we stopped at the park, looked at the city, probably kissed, and all of a sudden he got down on one knee...

I, of course, said yes.  I wanted to cry but I didn't.  I think because I knew it was coming, so the element of surprise was gone.  It was still romantic, though.  I was pretty impressed by his little scheme!

Comments

Stopping over from Kelly's Korner! What a sweet story! Thank you for sharing it! : )

Popular posts from this blog

Luther Burbank Park

Last summer a friend of mine introduced me to this cool park on Mercer Island.  When we went, we only played at the swimming beach and never explored the rest of the park or played on the playground.  So yesterday, we finally went back with a picnic lunch and checked out some more of the park (there's still another section we didn't get to, so maybe next time).  The playground was really cool with all sorts of nooks and cranies, and old-fashioned metal slides and ladders.  They girls loved it. View from our picnic spot A pyramid with slides on the other side Lake Washington beyond Chair swings--never seen these before I-90 bridge over Lake Washington Trail along the lake leading to the swimming beach Should have brought swimsuits.  They were SO sandy and wet coming home.

First Day of 10th Grade

 Today was the first day of 10th grade for the girls.  Sophomores.  I can't believe we only have two more of these.  Not counting college, of course. Kayley Kayley again Olivia It has become my tradition to take the day before and the first day off.  Back in the elementary days, the day before the first day was "meet the teacher day", so I would always take them to that, then in middle school we would just go to lunch or get our nails done.  Last year was their first day of high school, though, so that day was orientation and that brings us up to this year.  The day before the first day is "Wildcat Day", which is mostly a freshman and new student orientation.  Olivia is in ASB so she had to go help with that, but Kayley didn't go.  Instead, her and I took some of her old clothes to this resale store called Plato's Closet to try and sell them (it's similar to a consignment shop except they just pay you then and there and then resell them, instead of o

Goofy Girls

Throughout the year I've caught the girls doing cute/funny/silly/downright weird stuff and snapped a picture with the intent to blog it but never got around to it.  So here's a sample of some of the things they've been up to in the last several months. Animal parade...or something? Olivia with head through swimsuit bottoms School for their animals.  Coloring books for school books. Animal school close-up Using the water table as feed trough for stick horses Using step ladder as a hair salon