Monday, May 29, 2017

Music Monday

Welcome to Music Monday, episode 2.  Today's song was chosen in honor of Memorial Day and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country.  But first a little back story about this song.

I first heard this song back in 1984-ish at a high school dance.  Yes, not only was I alive in 1984 but I was old enough to be in high school (barely, but still).  There was a live band and they played it.  I had never heard it before and just assumed it was an original because every thing else they played was the usual top 40 and hard rock songs that I knew and loved.  I loved the song and was sad that I was probably never going to hear it again.

Sometime within the next year or two, I was going to some 4-H function and riding in the car of another 4-H member.  Her mom had the radio on a country station and out of the blue that song came on.  I was so happy to hear it again, and now I knew that it was "out there" and I would probably be able to track it down someday, even though I still didn't know who sang it.

Then, a few years later I was driving in my car flipping channels on the radio and lo and behold, there it was.  And this time I heard the DJ say it was Lee Greenwood.  I soon went out and bought the cassette tape of it and could finally hear it whenever I wanted, and started a tradition of listening to it every 4th of July.

I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I wont forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me...

God Bless the USA





No comments: